We often see our pets scratch and itch themselves thinking that they are just getting at a little niggle. However, your dog could be trying to tell you that there is a serious problem. From fleas and mites to shampoos and toys, there are many causes of itchy, sensitive skin.
The main sign is scratching, which often results in skin irritation and fur loss. With dogs, there are two predominant reasons: flea allergy (which affects about one in four) and atopic dermatitis, which simply means the skin can’t defend itself well enough against allergens. Typical allergens are house dust mites, pollens, mould spores and bacteria. Around 60 per cent of allergies in dogs are caused by fleas and 30 per cent by atopic dermatitis. In cats, it’s about 90 per cent fleas. Finally, there is contact allergy, when the pet reacts to something they encounter regularly. It’s rare in cats but with dogs, though uncommon, the main culprits are plastic food bowls, toys, and shampoo or ear treatments.
Dogs are simpler to diagnose. With flea allergy, they’ll usually be itchy and will chew at their backs, towards the tail. Some will chew the tops of their tails as they can’t reach the back, but it’s the area over the pelvis that bugs them. Atopic dermatitis is usually first seen in dogs under the age of three, especially Labradors, Westies and Beagles. Suffering dogs might chew their front feet or rub their faces on the carpet as their ears or lips are itchy. With contact allergy, dogs could have soreness, hair loss and itchiness on their face.
Some dogs suffer with hay fever-like symptoms when the pollen count is high. The materials in pollen are often absorbed through the dog’s paws and skin and can cause an itchy allergic reaction. Dogs may get infections in their skin from the scratching and have the urge to rub their faces on the carpet. You can help reduce symptoms by wiping your dog down with a damp towel when they’ve been outside, which helps to remove pollens trapped in their coat and on their paws.
It’s quite rare, but if a dog has been stung and collapses, they need to see a vet straight away. Puppies who chew a bee can have a reaction where their faces swell, causing breathing difficulties, so the owners may carry an EpiPen (adrenaline jab) in case it happens again.
No, you have to eliminate the cause. Whether it’s fleas or mites, you must treat the parasite. If your pet is suffering with atopic dermatitis and you’ve been able to determine the allergen, your vet may use desensitisation vaccines. Some people get rid of their carpets if their pets have a dust mite allergy. With contact allergies, swap your plastic food bowl for a ceramic one or try using a different shampoo.
We are currently working on our Dog insurance policy. Keep checking our website for further information on its launch and to get a quote.
Website Design by Synotive